Now that summer is here, you rely on your Air Conditioning system to cool your home throughout the day and night. Unfortunately, summer is also the time that most homeowners experience a huge rise in electricity bills. In today’s blog we are going to discuss several steps that can help you save energy and save protect our Earth’s natural resources (as well as your wallet). We are more than just an Air Conditioning Repair company, we are home energy conservation experts. We specialize in installing cost effective, energy star rated equipment to keep your family comfortable and your energy use low.
Here are a few suggestions:
- Invest in a programmable thermostat. A programmable thermostat uses a set schedule to reduce wasteful energy use when no one is home and can automatically cool the home when you return.
- Have your duct system inspected. Energy Star estimates that 90% of homes leak 20 – 40% of the conditioned air into the attic before it ever reaches the living space.
- Check to see if your air conditioner unit has a SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficient Ratio) of at least 13. The ES government has mandate that all new units have a SEER rating of at least 13 to help reduce environmental impact. Also, the higher the SEER rating your AC unit has, the more energy savings you will receive.
- Insulation helps keep your home cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Energy Start recommends a minimum insulation of R-38 in the Houston, Tx area.
- Be sure to perform annual maintenance on both your air conditioning and heating systems once per year. Unmaintained systems can cost more to operate, have a shorter lifespan, and lead to costly repairs in the future.
- Installing Energy star rated equipment and appliances can have a significant impact on energy bills.
- When having AC Service, AC Repairs, or AC Replacement hire a contractor that partners with organizations like Energy Star, NATE (North American Technician Excellence), or ACCA (Air Conditioning Contractors of America).
A good HVAC system can greatly increase the comfort of your home, reduce energy bills, improve indoor air quality, and reduce the amount of pollution we are putting into the atmosphere. Our Houston Air Conditioning Repair company helps you save money, energy, and the planet.